Saturday, August 6, 2011

Oreo Cream Cake

Okay so a while ago Matt and I were bored and I was still really into my baking phase. Not that I'm not now, it's just other things have occupied my time. Which is another reason to why it's taken so long to put this on here. I kept meaning to I swear...time gets away from me.

So after a long deliberation we decided to make a marble cake with Oreo cream frosting. Yum! We weren't sure if we wanted to make the cake from scratch or to just buy cake mix but being the adventurous person I am I decided we were going to make it from scratch. So here we go!

Cake:
3 cups sifted all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
2 cups granulated sugar
4 large eggs, at room temperature
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted
Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter two 9x2 inch round cake pans and dust with flour. In a bowl, mix the 3 cups of flour, baking powder, and salt. In a cup, mix the milk with the vanilla.
In a standing mixer fitted with the paddle, beat the butter at medium speed until light and creamy. Add the sugar and beat until fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, continuously scraping down the bowl. Beat in the dry ingredients in 3 batches, alternating with the milk mixture and scraping down the bowl.
Mix 2 cups of the batter with the melted and cooled bittersweet chocolate. Scrape the remaining batter into the pans. Dollop the chocolate batter over the batter in the pans and swirl with a knife.




So this is where I would stray away from the recipe. I did exactly what it said but the chocolate batter never really mixed into the other batter well. It was more like a marble cake on top and then vanilla on the bottom. So if you want to follow exactly be prepared for this.

Bake in the lower third of the oven for about 35 minutes, until springy. Let cool for 15 minutes, then run a knife around the edges and invert onto a rack. Let these cool completely while you're making your frosting.


So we're back to my normal frosting. The recipe I found had a complicated recipe for their frosting (like most do...I don't know why people don't make it simple for themselves...) So I just took some confectoners sugar, butter and chopped up oreos and mixed it together. The result was delicious.


I covered the cake with the frosting, and then chopped up some more oreos to place on the sides for extra fun.


Now I'll admit the cake was a little dry. I think taking a box mix would work out just as well and would most likely take less time. It might even taste better, I have no idea. All I know is that Matt learned a little about baking and we got to eat some yummy cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment